A program administered by the Cook County Treasurer’s Office assists senior citizens who are hard-pressed to pay their property taxes.
Seniors whose annual household income is $55,000 or less can apply to the Senior Citizen Real Estate Tax Deferral Program for loans to cover property tax payments.
The State of Illinois issues the loans, which do not have to be repaid until the property is sold or the homeowner dies. An interest rate of 6 percent per year is charged by the state. The maximum loan is $5,000 per year. To qualify, homeowners must be at least 65 years old by June 1 of the year in which the application is made.
- Download the application from cookcountytreasurer.com
- Submit the completed application and copies of the required documents to the Treasurer’s Office
- The deadline is March 1, 2020 (Applications after that date cannot be accepted).
- The First Installment for Tax Year 2019 is due March 3, 2020
- Homeowners must reapply every year
- More info can be found at: https://cookcountytreasurer.com/theseniorcitizenrealestatetaxdeferralprogram.aspx