I’m proud to recognize the second annual National Fentanyl Awareness Day. This day is to raise public awareness about an urgent problem: people are dying at alarming rates due to illicitly manufactured fentanyl (IMF), a potent synthetic opioid.
Know the Facts
- Illicit fentanyl is being used to make fake prescription pills and is also found in common street drugs like cocaine, MDMA and heroin.
- Often consumed unknowingly by users, illicit fentanyl is driving the recent increase in U.S. overdose deaths.
- Fake pills have been found in all 50 states. Assume any prescription pill you see online is fake, including Oxy, Percocet, Adderall and Xanax.
- Fake pills are the main reason fentanyl-involved deaths are highest and fastest growing amongst youth.
- Fentanyl is involved in more American youth deaths than heroin, meth, cocaine, benzos, and RX drugs COMBINED.
- Fentanyl is involved in more deaths of Americans under 50 than any other cause of death, including heart disease, cancer, homicide, suicide, and other accidents.
Find more information on fentanyl and this day on DEA.gov/fentanylawareness.