The Illinois Department of Transportation announced Thursday that as part of the ongoing rehabilitation of the inbound Kennedy Expressway (Interstate 90/94), from the Edens Expressway (Interstate 94) junction to Ohio Street, ramp closures are scheduled to take place beginning, weather permitting, Monday, Oct. 16.
The closures are needed to accommodate ongoing bridge rehabilitation and ramp repairs. Starting at 6 a.m. Monday, the following ramps will close:
- Milwaukee Avenue to inbound Kennedy, anticipated to reopen in two weeks.
- Inbound Kennedy to Ogden Avenue, anticipated to reopen in two weeks.
Current ramp closures:
- Inbound Kennedy to North Avenue (Illinois 64), anticipated to reopen late October.
- Inbound Kennedy to Fullerton Avenue, anticipated to reopen late October.
- Armitage Avenue to inbound Kennedy, anticipated to reopen late October.
- Montrose Avenue to inbound Kennedy, anticipated to reopen late October.
- Kedzie Avenue to inbound Kennedy, anticipated to reopen late October.
Motorists should follow the posted detours.
Additional ramp closures with detours will be required to complete the project. Details, schedules and impacts to traffic will be shared in advance, closer to the individual closure dates.
The overall inbound Kennedy project is anticipated to be completed late fall, with all lanes and ramps reopening and the express lanes resuming normal operations. The express lanes will be worked on in 2024, with the project focused on the outbound Kennedy in 2025.
Motorists should continue to expect lane shifts, overnight lane closures and significant delays and to allow extra time for trips through this area. Drivers are urged to pay close attention to flaggers and signs in the work zones, obey the posted speed limits and be on the alert for workers and equipment. Public transportation and traveling during non-peak hours are recommended if possible.
For more information on the project, visit https://idot.illinois.gov/projects/Interstate-90-Kennedy-Bridge-Study. The website features project details, maps, photos and fact sheets. The public can email questions to DOT.KennedyRehab@illinois.gov.