You can make donating blood part of your routine! Did you know, our nation’s blood supply is almost entirely dependent on volunteer donors? Blood transfusions are one of the most frequently performed procedures in U.S. hospitals and help treat patients suffering traumatic injuries, undergoing surgery, receiving treatment for cancer or blood disorders, as well as new mothers and premature babies. Every 2 seconds of every day, a patient receives a blood or platelet transfusion.
Whatever your motivation, when you donate blood you are giving hope to hospital patients – and their family and friends. You’re making sure a child doesn’t grow up without a parent, a husband doesn’t become a widower, a young woman’s father can walk her down the aisle at her wedding, and many more.
As a first-time donor, you probably have some questions about the process, what to expect, how to prepare and what we mean by types of donation. The links on the right can answer your questions.
- Schedule your appointment by visiting https://donors.vitalant.org/dwp/portal/dwa.
- Check in for your appointment.
- Meet with trained staff to complete health screening and questionnaire.
- Donor care specialist will review results and determine the best way for you to donate.
- Relax while your specialist prepares materials and equipment.
- Specialist will clean an area on your arm and insert a sterile needle to begin.
- Samples of your blood will be collected for testing.
- You will then complete the whole blood donation process, which can take up to 15 minutes (usually 10).
- Enjoy light refreshments to replenish fluids and nutrients.
- You’re done! Feel proud knowing you’ve saved up to three lives and encourage friends and family to donate.
- After you’re finished, your donation is typed, tested, processed, and distributed. Thank you for being part of something bigger than yourself.
I’m hosting a Blood Drive on Thursday, October 19th from 12:30 PM – 5:30 PM at the Leyden Township Senior Center! Find more information and sign up online here: https://repstephens.com/event/rep-stephens-trick-a-vampire-blood-drive/